24 marzo 2017

#ComentarioDeTexto - Here’s Why I Don’t Bring a Laptop to Meetings


I can type twice as fast as I can write with pen and paper. I’m a gigantic believer that the best place for words, thoughts and documents to be stored is in the cloud — not in notebooks, not in filing cabinets.

Lo de la velocidad no creo que lo cumpla tan a rajatabla, pero que el mundo ahora es cloud no lo dudo.

Digital is fast, smart and convenient. I have drunk this Kool-Aid. I have proclaimed, loudly, its many virtues. But as much as I believe in digital organization and efficiency, there is something I believe even more deeply. It’s that you are more important.

Bueno vale, tú eres más importante pero no por ello voy a tirar mi computadora. Como todo, es cuestiñon de cómo la utilizas.

If you’re sitting across the table from me, I want you to see and know that I’m fully present with you.
I want you to see me jotting notes on paper because I want you to know that I’m focused on you, your words, your story. I don’t want you to ever wonder whether I’m behind my laptop responding to email while we’re talking.

Ese es el tema, Pero esta impresión la puedes dar igual con una computadora que con un móvil, que con un papel y un lápiz, e incluso sin nada. No me digais que nunca os habeis encontrado con uno que está con vosotros hablando y lo ves que en ningún momento te mira ni se fija en ti. Busca más allá, por ponerlo en modo trascendente. 

You know why? I’ve been in way too many meetings where the person I’m talking to is nodding and mmhmming while typing furiously at their laptop. I don’t know what they’re doing, but I don’t believe it has much to do with me. Doesn’t feel great.

Eso no es que te haga sebtir bien. Eso es mala educación en mi opinión.

If we’re in a meeting together, you are worth my attention. You are more valuable to me than the efficiency I love so much, and I want you to know it.

Mi conclusion? La atención no depende del trasto que tengas delante, pero puede dar una primera impresión que despues corrobores o calles.



This post was inspired by Stephanie Dankelson’s recent post on Living in the Present, and the way we approach work and relationships here at Human Design.

No hay comentarios: